Beyond Borders
I have been all over the place for this research project. Mostly influenced by topics that were popular in the class, I went with South America and from there to Egypt. I like the idea of freedom and if media has made us more or less free. Looking at the Egyptians one might argue that the revolutions (born of social media) have caused more problems than prior to the outbursts. However, I have moved my focus another direction.
After much thought, I have decided to focus on the spread of Revolution from Tunisia to Egypt. In my lab on campus, we just hosted a woman from Tunisia, and it was interesting to hear her perspective even as an upper class member of society. She told me "we will fight for our freedom." I found information of the people of Tunisia writing about freedom and revolution on facebook, triggering a revolution in Egypt shortly after.
I got to thinking, how interesting that two neighboring countries would start revolutions simultaneously. I then became curious about how little of a coincidence it could be! This website got me going in the right direction.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/opinion/31eldin.html
No comments:
Post a Comment